Rainy. Windy. Gray. Chilly but not cold. Around late afternoon. Home with just Cooper. What to do?
BEACH. And what a glorious little trip it was with my faithful beach companion. After donning a rain jacket, a warm knitted hat and sneakers, he and I set off undeterred by the Nor'eastern that happened to be rearranging the entire Massachusetts coastline on this very afternoon. Entirely surprised to see two other cars down at Sagamore Beach, I was not at all surprised to encounter no other company but the crashing waves and whipping winds during our afternoon stroll.
The ocean was colored a sea foam green (no pun intended) under her white-capped waves today. Not at all like the more often described dark, angry blue. In fact, I didn't find her angry at all. Stormy, yes, but in a wonderfully wild way. I found no frustration or grumpy emotion in the tumultuous waves as she receded to low tide but instead an excitement and energy and life. I quickly regretted every other time I chose to retreat to the safe harbor of my house during stormy days likes these but then changed my attitude and chose, instead, to embrace those cozy, tender memories and to appreciate today's unique choice to meet the sea how she is... in every kind of weather.
Not everyone is so able, I realize. Unwise is he who drives to the coast on a day like today just to watch the weather from his car or, braver yet, to consciously enter the elements and endure wet pants and sleeves and cold hands upon his return to drier places. If I didn't have home right down the road, I doubt I'd do it. Yes, I definitely would not and would really recommend against it. However, that not being my case, I took full advantage of my proximity to the water and I enjoyed a very memorable afternoon with my dog.

2 Comments:
I always like reading your love of nature and your picturesque ways of describing it. We live in such a great part of the country!
Been there Lauren. Love it ! Great place to live,eh? Mimi
Post a Comment
<< Home